Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs was released on DVD yesterday and in my personal opinion, if you have kids and you haven’t seen it yet, you’re missing out.
Granted, Pineapple is still a bit ‘wee’ for movies – she does not sit through them – but we often have a cartoon movie playing in the background early on Saturday and Sunday mornings while she plays in the living room. It provides a little background noise and she will sometimes pause whatever activity she is involved in to glance at the TV – making it impossible for us to watch more adult fare – like Twilight…WHAT?!
Anyway, Fox recently sent me a copy of Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs and last Sunday morning when Pineapple and I made our way upstairs, providing DH with a few extra zzz’s, we decided to pop the movie in the DVD player while we played. Following is a synopsis of how the viewing of this movie went:
- The trailers started and Pineapple immediately LOST IT over the preview for the upcoming Alvin and the Chipmunks movie – the “Squea-quel.” Too cute, right?! We’ll be watching that one for sure.
- Following this theme, as soon as Scrat the squirrel appeared on the TV, she was hooked. I don’t know what it is about little bug-eyed things but she loves them!
- This movie consists of Manny’s obsessive “I’m gonna be a daddy” issues and Diego’s “finding himself/mid-life crisis” with a little “Sid needs to stop adopting random kids” sauce for extra flavor. I don’t want to give away too much of the plot so this summary of the primary themes will suffice.
- Pineapple ate breakfast while the movie was playing and each time the baby dinosaurs, Sid or Scrat appeared, she giggled and pointed and made “oooh-oooh-dat-dat” noises. She was pleased.
- I thought the humor was fantastic! There is a scene when the characters are trapped in a gas cloud that is priceless. Also, the graphics are outstanding! There is a scene where Sid is thrown into a pond that is amazing – it looks absolutely real.
- As the movie ended (and I surreptitiously dabbed at my eyes with a paper towel so DH – who had joined us by this time – didn’t know what a sap I am – as if…) the credits rolled to “Everybody Walk the Dinosaur” as sung by Queen Latifah. Pineapple danced her little hiney off to the song – so much so that when it stopped playing, we backed it up and played the song again and I have since downloaded it for future play in the car.
I thought this movie was great. It’s being added to our permanent collection and I’m sure Pineapple will enjoy it for years to come.
Now to the good part…want a copy? Fox is providing 5 copies of the movie for me to give to you! All you have to do is leave a comment on my site about your favorite character in the Ice Age movies – or your kids’ favorite. That’s it! I can’t make it any easier! Pineapple will be picking the winners – I’m printing out the comments and literally having her pick them out of a hat.
UPDATE: Did you know that in celebration of the movie release to Blue Ray and DVD, 20th Century Fox broke the Guiness World Record for tallest ice sculpture?! It was 4 stories high (48’8″ tall)! WOW! Here is a pic!
But I think Pineapple would have enjoyed this guy skating around more than the sculpture! : ) Go Scrat Go!
OK – comment away – and GOOD LUCK! It’s a great movie!
WINNERS UPDATE: Following a VERY scientific process, during which Pineapple selected from balled up strips of paper, the following winners were chosen to receive a copy of Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs: Earth_Mommy, ImmeBlue, Peaches, Heather Garland, and Michelle Pendergrass. Please email me with your contact information so I can get those DVD’s shipped out to you! And CONGRATS!!!