Here’s the deal folks…Pineapple is getting big. She is becoming a big girl. And I THINK it’s time for a new bed.
Here’s the REST of the deal….Pineapple has her own room. It’s upstairs, directly above DH and my bedroom. This proved to be such a hassle when she was super tiny and in need of midnight and 3AM feedings, that we bought a SECOND bed and put it in our bedroom. It was also handy during the winter months because we have electric heating and we were nervous about leaving her upstairs in a different area of the house with the wall units running. So, for the past year and a half, Pineapple has been sharing out room.
I know. I know. I know.
She HAS been in her own bed! But, she IS in the same room.
YES – I KNOW!
The time has come for her to officially move into her room. I feel given that she’s fond of trying to climb on her baby bumper and lift her leg over the railings that it is also time for her to get a “big girl bed” – meaning a bed that rests approximately 6 inches off of the floor.
Here is my dilemma: (it has several parts)
- How do we keep her in her room? I don’t want to shut her in by closing her door and I don’t think we can put a baby gate there because then we couldn’t shut the door at all – given that her room is on the back side of our living room, if we’d ever like to watch TV in there again, it is necessary to shut the door.How do we keep her in?!
- Baby-proofing her room….seriously – HALP! I’m afraid the only way I will feel safe is if we remove EVERYTHING from the room! Because what if she wakes up and gets up to play in the night and falls or trips (she falls A LOT, so this isn’t an unreasonable concern) and hurts herself on a piece of furniture or a toy?! :S
- Is she ready? Really? She’s 20 months. We were thinking we’d get her a bed for her room in June. Is that right? I don’t know this stuff and that absentee manual probably wouldn’t have that sort of information anyway!
- Am I ready? I wake up every morning to her little face peeking over the rails at me saying “Hi Mama.” *WHIMPER*
- What if she’s scared? What if she’s lonely? What if she chokes? What if she’s sad? What if the monitor conks out? What if…what if…what if???
Please share any advice/tips/etc. I really need help on this one my fellow friend on the interwebs.
Oh – and if you have any specific bed recommendations, please share those, too. We’re not sure which direction to go but we’re leaning towards this cute bed at Ikea:
I like that it has the little rails on the side and it’s expandable. Plus, it’s super low to the ground…and just plain cute. 🙂