I LOVED school when I was growing up. I loved shopping for school supplies and I loved getting to see my friends every single day. I loved learning and I loved projects.
Thankfully, I didn’t have CHEESE or GRUMPY SUPERNATURAL UNCLES to deal with.
As are heading back to school, I took it upon myself to do some research of what exactly that experience looks like these days. In doing so, I came across 2 recent hits from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment (and they were kind enough to share them with me): Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief.
Aside from the fact that both of these movies are based on books – something I greatly appreciate – here are some things I really liked about these movies:
- Who can’t relate to the wimpy kid? I mean seriously? Who hasn’t lived in fear of unkowingly making the wrong move and being ‘branded for life’ with some nickname?!
- And who hasn’t given a little shudder when their friend – or parents – have done something “uncool” – and then felt bad later for being a total jerk? Maybe that one is just me – but that is a hard and valuable lesson to learn.
- Angie, played by Chloe Moretz, is amazing. She does sardonic so well…just as so many middle school children these days.
- Learning to accept yourself and others just the way you are is such an important skill. Most people don’t achieve this until much later in life – if ever – and it’s so good to see a kid get a handle on this at an earlier age.
- I hope Pineapple appreciates her friends for exactly who they are – because those friends are most likely to reciprocate and I want her to be the best Pineapple she can be.
- BEWARE THE CHEESE! Seriously. It’s gross cheese – that stuff should have withered away forever ago…just like all of our insecurities…right? 😉
- Oh and you can go “Wimp Yourself” by clicking here:
- (Just like I did: 🙂)
- I never went back to school only to find out I was a human/mythological god by-product and then get to go to ANOTHER school that is WAY cooler with jousting and everything. I so, so, so wish that had been the case. But alas, I was destined to attend plain old school.
- All of the random cameos – Pierce Brosnan, Rosario Dawson, Uma Thurman, Joey Pants… – I mean seriously, there were some cool people in some out-there roles.
- The catch phrase: Half Human. Half god. All hero! (HECK YEAH! How fun is that?!)
- This is such a neat twist on classic mythology and I feel like we’ve seen a lot of versions lately – this one wins, in my opinion. It’s fun without being cheesy; it’s not trying to do the same old thing again (ahem..Clash of the Titans…ahem) and it freshens up the tales.
- The CG is actually good! They did a neat job of creating the menacing badies – I’m lookin’ at you Menotaur and Medusa! – as well as the creepy environments Percy has to navigate.
- Who doesn’t like a kid who is willing to go to Hades to save his mother? Seriously.
- It might be a little too frightening for wee ones but it’s definitely age appropriate for middle school and early high school folks…and grownups who love kid movies (*raises hand*).
- Once again, the message comes through loud and clear, friends are important – and accepting them for who they are (Satyr anyone?) and having them accept and support you (helloooo – they went to Hades and it wasn’t even THEIR moms!) is what makes navigating the murky waters of school, and life, possible.
So – now that you know what I think, what’s in it for you, you ask? Well, I’ll tell you. How about a copy of each of these movies??? BOTH. MOVIES. At once. Want them? Then all you have to do is leave a comment below sharing whether you were a WIMP or a HERO is your younger years – or maybe it’s both? Or, if you’d like, you can tell me if you think your KID is a wimp or hero – shhhh…we won’t tell! I’ll randomly select the winner on September 24th using Randomizer.
XOXO – Rachael
YAY! WINNERS RULE! Winners chosen via Randomizer.org: Commenter #2 (bluebayou) and Commenter #4 (Melistress) – Please email your mailing addresses to pababble(at)gmail(dot)com to claim your prizes. And CONGRATS!!!!